Friday, November 16, 2012

No (wo)man is an island.

I would love to admit that I know that line of poetry because I read great poetry, but I actually got it from watching the movie About a Boy. :)

Anyway, the point is, I am not in this project alone. First and foremost, God is with me always, no matter how well or poorly I am doing. But He knows that some help on the ground is necessary too. 

Here in San Cristobal I have met many wonderful people and families. One of them is from the Southern U.S. and they were so helpful to me the first week.
The Thomas family. They have been a great help and such an encouragement to me. And I love Karen's cooking too! :) At one point I called (again!) about something and told them I am normally not that needy. Now we are in the fun part of just being friends. I have an invite for lunch tomorrow. ;)

Jeff has been sharing my vision with others in the town and there is a lawyer now very interested in helping with whatever he can. We meet with him on Monday. I am so thankful for all the help offered to me.
My pastoral care team from CTEN let me know that their son Ryan could help me out. He travels to different ministries and helps out with things that people don't have the time for, or (like me) don't have the skill for. I am so thankful he will spend a few weeks here. There is a guy in town who lives alone and has graciously allowed Ryan to stay with him, no charge! The people here really are very friendly. 

Ryan is helping with little things like hanging curtains,
 fixing some plumbing, and changing a lot of light bulbs! He quickly worked through the list of nit-picky things in the first few days.

 This wood is going to be a gate to block the kids access to the pool. Surprisingly, this is not a certification requirement, this is the lifeguard and nurse in me requirement!

Ryan will also be building me some bunk beds and cribs and a changing table. I want all of these to be built very sturdy so the kids can use them as supports, etc. We sat down and I gave him a rough idea of what I needed, and I am excited to see them take shape in the next couple of weeks!

Things are going well since moving in. I am working on getting caught up on "computer things". Some days I am so cold sitting at the desk, I just want to curl up on my couch and read a book! So far I have resisted.
This is me trying to stay warm and keep my arms free! Now I know why the snuggie was invented. Too bad I don't have one. :) The camera is sitting on my computer desk to take the picture. I envisioned this area as an office, except then it turned into a closet as well!

Take care and have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Staci, if we had a reliable mail system, I would love to have a snuggie! Thanks for the excitement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, hearing the details of progress with the home just makes me want to come down right now. I'm so encouraged that you're sensing such support from the San Cristobal community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come soon Bonnie! And I have so enjoyed the support I have received the community.

      Delete