Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Inauguration Day!

On Sunday we inaugurated the house. Being so close to getting the license, I wanted to make sure we could do this event well, and once we get the license I'm guessing it's going to get busy right away!

I've lived in this area just under a year and a half. When I moved here I really only knew 2 families. So when I was making up the guest list, I thought I would just invite everyone I knew. Well that turned out to be over 120 people! And there are actually a few people I forgot to invite. Oops!

I was overwhelmed with all the help, and offers of help, that I received for this event. Some friends helped design and put together the invitations, my social worker helped plan the event and was the MC, other missionary friends helped load up all the chairs and tents I rented and took them to my place as well as back to the rental place, my housekeeper offered to make 200 paches (a traditional food that is so yummy!) and helped me buy the plates etc. needed, another ministry lent me their tent (and even came over to set it up for me), a new friend from my Bible study came over to do the decorations, everyone from my Bible study came over right after church to help set up tents, chairs, clean up the yard, finish decorations and they stayed afterwards to take it all down again, the nannies came and greeted people at the front, then spent the rest of their time in the kitchen helping with food and clean-up. I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but it was so nice to have all the help. It would have been a very different event otherwise!
Tent raising. It was nice and hot, so the tents provided some nice shade.
Blowing up balloons for decoration and making beds so it looks how it will when the girls come. (Because of humidity, I don't keep the sheets and blankets on the bed)
Leia was thinking, "All these people around, and no one will play with me!"
A time of worship.
I shared what the home is about, how God started this ministry and God's heart for children and adults with special needs. I managed to make people both laugh and cry, so I think it went well. :)
 Les and Rita live about 20 minutes away. Les (I still practicing saying Les instead of Mr. Peters!) was my teacher in high school, as well as the vice principal of the school I attended as a youngster. They have known me since I was 10, as I have been good friends with their daughter Ruth since we met. She was the catalyst that landed me in this area of Guatemala.
Les and Rita pastor the church I attend, and have made it very clear that they will welcome my girls with open arms. They are welcome in church, as well as the Sunday School classes. Les shared, and Rita prayed over the ministry.
 So blessed to have all these people in my life!

 Time of prayer.
Food time!
Visit time.
 People stayed visiting for a long time.
It was a nice time of people being able to see the house, visit with friends, and connect with new people and ministries.
All in all, it was a lot of fun. At least it became a lot more fun once I was done speaking, and everything else was taken care of. There may have been a panic phone call to a friend that morning (thanks Donna!). And I may have prepared what I was going to say during the sermon at church. And I may have been hardly able to stand by the end of the night since I decided to wear "pretty shoes" instead of my good ol' Merrill's. But all in all it was a great time!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome and exciting Naomi. Great job on an awesome celebration time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks awesome!! I wish we could have stayed a few more days to see it in person! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete