Friday, October 26, 2012

The local church

When I came down to work in Guatemala I asked people from my church and my family and friends in Canada to support me financially.

Now that I am starting the Children's Home, I once again started asking people in Canada and the U.S. to support me financially. Because that is where all the money is, right?

There may be more money up there, but I am finding that people here should be given the opportunity to join in as well. Last week in church my pastor surprised me by saying that this week they would be taking up a special offering for the Home. This is a church full of abandoned and abused children, drug and alcohol addicts, some Guatemalan families and a couple of missionary families. I would have never dreamed of asking them for money. Don't they need every penny they have?


And then I think of the poor widow. "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything-all she had to live on." Mark 12:41-44

The amount that is given doesn't matter. And the money isn't being given because I make a good speech or show some sad pictures. The money isn't even being given to me. It is being given to God. I am just helping Him spend it. :)

Today I found out that some new friends of mine (missionaries in San Cristobal, Alta Verapaz) received a donation and they are going to tithe to the ministry. I am so excited! Their vision is to get the local church involved. They want to go over the list of things I need in order to get the Home furnished and up and running, and present it to local churches. I am excited about getting the word out and getting people involved.

I am learning more and more to humble myself and accept help. This is not my children's home. This is not my ministry. It comes from God. And He wants others to get involved. I need to allow them and encourage them. A hard job for me, but one I am learning.

I don't think I was able to articulate all I am feeling and thinking about right now. But this is a little glance into what I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment